Here are some of the best butt exercises to get you ready for bikini season.You don't have to do all of them all the time. Mix them up and do as many as possible. The most important thing to remember with fitness is to have fun. Getting fit should never feel like a chore. The best part? You'll notice changes straight away, especially if you eat right. Enjoy watching your body transform. Put in the effort, and the results will speak for themselves.
7. THE BRIDGE
* Lie on your back with your hands by your sides, knees bent and feet flat on the floor (keep your feet directly underneath your knees).
* Raise your hips off the floor until you form a straight line from your knees to your shoulders.
* Squeeze your butt and tighten your core and abs.
* Hold the position for as long as you can, ensuring your body doesn't sag (aim for a strong hold of 20 seconds).
* Lower your hips to the floor, rest for 10 seconds and repeat. Go for 10 repetitions.
6. THE PLANK
* Start in the push-up position.
* Bend your elbows and rest on your forearms.
* Keep your elbows directly underneath your shoulders.
* Keep your body in a straight line for as long as possible (aim for 2 minutes).
* Once mastered, you can lift one leg off the floor and hold for an additional 2 minutes.
* Once mastered, you can also lift one arm and one leg off the floor and hold for an additional 2 minutes.
5. GLUTE KICKBACKS
* Get on your hands and knees, making sure your back is parallel to the floor.
* Kick one leg back (similar motion to a horse kick).
* When your leg is fully extended, hold the position for 1-2 seconds before lowering it back to the starting position.
* Repeat the same motion with the opposite leg.
* Aim for 10 repetitions per leg.
* Advanced athletes can use the Smith Machine for increased resistance.
4. WALKING LUNGES WITH HANDS UP
* Stand upright with your hands raised above your head holding a five-pound weight plate (increase the weight as you get stronger).
* Take one step forward (slightly longer than a normal walking step), making sure your heel lands first, followed by the front of your foot.
* As you land, bend your front knee to about 90 degrees or until your back knee almost touches the floor.
* Keep your back as straight as possible.
* Straighten your front leg, bring your back leg forward and take another step forward.
* Aim for 10 Lunges on each leg.
3. ELLIPTICAL TRAINER
* For best results, keep your center of gravity low (knees bent).
* Targets the glutes and calves predominantly.
* Use interval training (alternating one minute medium pace and one minute fast pace) for a total of 15-20 minutes.
* Progressively increase resistance to desired level.
2. BARBELL SQUATS
* Always start with a light weight and add more as you increase strength.
* Make sure the bar is centered on the squat rack.
* Always use clips to keep the weight locked on the bar.
* Use a weight belt if attempting heavy Squats.
* Enter the squat rack and grip the bar with an overhand grip (slightly wider than shoulder-width).
* Position the bar on the back of your shoulders.
* Position your feet flat on the floor and slightly wider than a normal stance.
* Straighten your legs, lift the bar off the squat rack and take a step back.
* Bend your knees slowly to begin the Squat, making sure your back is straight.
* Lower your body until your upper legs are parallel to the floor.
* Stand back up to complete the Squat.
* Aim for 10-12 repetitions.
1. ROCK CLIMBING/HIKING
These outdoor activities (indoor rock climbing is OK as well) are the best butt-shaping exercises you can do. They target all areas of the butt and legs and improve core strength and cardiovascular endurance. Perform these activities regularly and you'll build tight, lean legs and a sculpted butt in no time. One 30-minute session per week is all you need (of course you can go for as long as you like).
Remember to keep hydrated and be safe at all times. Let people know where you are going and how long you intend to be gone. Pack a whistle and a flashlight and wear appropriate clothing and footwear.
Get out there and make it happen. Your butt depends on it.
* Build a Strong Butt (It's More Important Than You Think!)
* Three Effective Glute Exercises for Female Athletes
* Rebekah Steen's Blog, "Goldfish Kiss," Keeps You Bikini-Ready